Russian Drone Attacks Leave One Dead and Spark Fires in Kyiv, Ukraine

Ukrainian Air Defense Forces Intercepted Over 20 UAVs as a New Wave Approaches

A series of Russian drone attacks on the Ukrainian capital has resulted in the loss of one life and caused widespread fires throughout the city, officials in Kyiv reported on Sunday.

Russian Drone Attacks Leave One Dead and Spark Fires in Kyiv, Ukraine

According to Kyiv’s Mayor Vitali Klitshko, Ukrainian air defense forces successfully intercepted more than 20 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) en route to the capital. However, he issued a warning, stating that another wave of drones was imminent.

In a later announcement, the Ukrainian Air Force disclosed that Russia had launched a total of 54 Iranian Shahed drones overnight, of which 52 were destroyed by Ukrainian forces.

“The enemy launched yet another attack on our military facilities and critical infrastructure in the central regions of the country, specifically Kyiv Oblast. Most of the attack drones were successfully neutralized near the Air Command Center zone!” tweeted the air force.

Sadly, a 41-year-old man lost his life in Kyiv’s Solomyanskyi district as a result of the attacks. Additionally, a 35-year-old woman was injured by falling drone debris at a gas station, revealed Mayor Klitshko.

The mayor also informed the public via Telegram that the falling drone debris had caused fires in multiple buildings across the capital. A fire spanning an area of 700 square meters (7,534 square feet) had been contained, but damage was reported across a 1,000 square meter vicinity, added Klitshko.

In the historic Pecherskyi district, falling drone debris ignited a fire on the rooftop of a nine-story building, according to Klitshko’s statement.

Nikopol, another city in Ukraine, was also targeted by Russian forces. Serhii Lysak, the head of the Dnipropetrovsk region’s military administration, confirmed heavy artillery shelling in the area.

“The aggressor once again fired heavy artillery upon the civilian population. Nikopol was struck twice during the night, resulting in damage to six private houses and two outbuildings,” Lysak wrote in a Telegram post.

The attack caused damage to a gas line and the main power supply, but fortunately, no casualties were reported, Lysak added.

The escalating tensions between Ukraine and Russia continue to escalate, leading to an increasing threat to the safety and well-being of the Ukrainian people. The Ukrainian government has called for international support to address this critical situation and ensure the stability of the region.

OduNews on Google News

Submit press release, news tips to us: | Follow us @ODUNewsNG 

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More